{week 46} silk paper

Oooh another bank holiday, we are being spoiled. So I had plenty of time today to break out another kit. I like kits. They may not be the cheapest way to experience a new craft but you get everything you need in one package to try something new – and instructions to boot.

This week I had a go at silk paper making.

Finished paper

I’ve read instructions online that sounded really complicated and had lots of chemicals. But this kit just called for the fibres, water, silicone sheet and an iron.

The fibres – silk thrower’s waste and silk cocoon strippings – are both ‘gum-in’ meaning they just needed water and heat adding to bond them.

Silk fibres

I used lots of newspaper to protect my ironing board, laid a silicone sheet on top and then started pulling the fibres apart – I used the cocoon strippings. I laid them in one direction first and then for the next layer I laid them at right angles.

Layering up the fibres

I sprayed them with water, popped the second sheet on top and then used a hot iron for a few seconds to bond the fibres. After that I flipped over the ‘sandwich’ and peeled off the top layer, added more water, replaced the sheet and ironed it again.

For the first sheet I used just two layers – the resulting paper was thin and delicate. Whilst it was still wet I moulded it over a glass. Call back tomorrow to see how it turned out.

Shaping the silk paper over a glass

For the next piece I used four layers and the paper was a lot thicker – I have plans for this piece too so you’ll just have to wait and see what I do.

Silk paper

I also had a go with the throwster’s waste – these fibres were a lot harder to handle. I used a thin layer again and this time added some silver flake. I haven’t decided what to do with the resultant paper yet so if you have any ideas please let me know.

Adding silver flakes

Finished paper with silver flakes

Have you ever made your own paper? I’d love to see photos if you have.

Advertisements

3 Responses to “{week 46} silk paper”


  1. 1 Katy M May 3, 2011 at 7:29 pm

    In publishers & publishing class in Library School 30+ years ago, we made paper from dryer lint! (it involved using lye, quite nasty stuff) Turned out to be very thick paper since it was so difficult to dip the screen into the slurry mixture and come up with even amounts of pulp each time. I remember that we used one sheet to make a thank-you card for the professor, but not sure where the sheet I kept has gone… Kits seem like a much better solution!


  1. 1 Silk paper continued – adding some stitchery « 52 crafts in 52 weeks Trackback on May 3, 2011 at 1:56 pm
  2. 2 Indie Fixx / From inspiration to reality Trackback on May 10, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




Pages

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,000 other followers

What I’m twittering about

Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.

Flickr Photos

Baby's first quilt

Close-up of embroidery

Baby quilt

More Photos

Contact me

Email: christinenancyevans [@] gmail.com
All images and text are © Christine Evans unless otherwise stated.

%d bloggers like this: