I’m starting to look ahead to Christmas presents so I thought this week’s craft – soy candles – would be perfect.
Suitable containers – teacups, jars, tins etc.
Double boiler (I used a small old saucepan over a larger one with water in)
Old metal spoon
I got my wax, wicks and glue dots from here.
1) Gently heat the wax in the double boiler – don’t let it go over 80°C and don’t let any water or steam touch the wax. I used about 12oz for my four small teacups.
2) Warm the containers up in the oven slightly.
3) Put glue dots on the bottom of the wicks and attach them to the bottom of the containers. I used pegs clipped together to hold the wicks in place (see photo).
4) When the wax is melted, take off the heat and allow to cool slightly. Then stir in the fragrance (max concentration is 30ml per 16oz).
5) Pour the wax carefully into the containers. Leave to set.
6) Trim the wick.
7) Leave them about 24 hours before burning.
Mine are at the cooling stage so the pegs are still in place and the wicks are untrimmed. Hopefully they’ll set soon and I can finish them off. Four Christmas presents. Done.